What are some recommended protein powders?
Here are some great protein powder brands we recommend here at the Fit Father Project:
Best protein powders:
- Whey or Vegan Protein + Superfoods, Vitamins, Minerals: Fit Father SuperFuel
- We designed this protein to be the best all-purpose protein shake for you to use in your morning fat-burning shakes - or anytime you need a quick meal replacement shake on the go. We built SuperFuel from premium-quality cold-filtered whey or natural vegan blend protein sources, while including over 40 vitamins, minerals, and superfoods to energize your body and help you recover from your workouts.
- If you do choose to purchase our Fit Father SuperFuel, we include our Fit Father Shake Guide Recipes book (Normally: $19.99 / FREE for you) that hands you 20+ recipes using SuperFuel for both fat-burning and muscle-building shakes.
- Here's where to buy => https://www.fitfatherproject.com/super-fuel
- UPDATE! FFP Chocolate SuperFuel has been upgraded with a new improved taste and the addition of Creatine, Tart Cherry Extract, and Betaine! (Vanilla/Vegan remain unchanged. And if looking for Chocolate without the new additions, check out our equally delicious and effective FMP SuperFuel-perfectly safe and healthy for a man to consume).
- Pure Whey Powder (No Vitamins & Superfoods): BodyLogix (2-4lb bottles available)
- Dr. A's Notes: This is a clean product that has 0 artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and only uses 1 natural sweetener (stevia). Additionally it is Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, and is sourced from grass-fed cows.
- Link on Amazon.com -> https://www.amazon.com/Bodylogix-Grass-Fed-Certified-Decadent-Chocolate/dp/B078YC33Y
- Pure Whey Powder (No Vitamins & Superfoods): Ascent Native Fuel Whey Protein Powder (2-4lb bottles available)
- Dr. A's Notes: This is also a clean product that has 0 artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and only uses 1 natural sweetener (stevia). Additionally it is also Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, and has a nice blend of Whey Isolate and Concentrate (Isolate first ingredient!).
- Link on Amazon.com->https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7VLTW3/
- Organic Vegan Protein: Garden of Life Sport Protein Powder
- Dr. A's Notes: Once again, another clean product with no artificial sweeteners, Non-GMO, NSF-Certified, with probiotics included.
- Link on Amazon.com->https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7DTD98?th=1
- Vegan Protein + Superfoods: Amazing Grass Vegan Protein Powder
- Dr. A's Notes: Last option as another clean product with no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, etc. Amazing Grass also contains super greens.
- Link on Amazon.com->https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XYH997?th=1
All products are fantastic. There are certainly other great smaller companies that sell quality protein. Due to the nature of the business, their products are typically more expensive (as they are not manufacturing at high quantities).
Because I always like sprinkling in a bit of education :-) , here are some guidelines to look for in a quality protein:
- The protein to sugar ratio. There should be 20g protein : < 3 g sugar (maximum that I'd suggest)
- The source of protein (it will be listed as the first ingredient on the ingredient label). We'll want to avoid a low-quality soy protein. Ideally, the protein should be sourced from whey, rice, or pea. Most people should avoid casein proteins as casein is the portion of milk protein that's positively associated with cancer (see this).
- Presence (or absence) of artificial sweeteners. Stevia, Monk Fruit, Erythritol, and Xylitol are the best (natural) sweeteners. Aspartame is the worst. The others (Sucralose, Acesulfame-K) are not optimal but more doable.